Our Education Law Unit strives to recognize and protect the educational rights of children. We believe that a system of education that is sensitive to the unique qualities of its students can best carry out its purpose. We seek to supplement and complement the good faith effort of school districts to improve the quality of education. Additionally, we strive to substantively address students’ personal investment in education, which is fundamentally related to the development of skills and attitudes that inevitably influence the adults they will become.

If you have any of the following questions, our Education Law Unit may be able to help.

What should I do if I believe my child has a disability that impacts their learning?
How do I know if the school district's recommendations are best for my child?
What should I do if my child has been suspended from school?
How do I prepare for a superintendent’s hearing and possible long-term suspension?
What should I do if my child is getting bullied?
What can I do if I’m having difficulty enrolling my child in school?
How can I secure school services if my family is homeless?
What do I do if my child wants to drop out of school?

The attorneys and advocates of the Education Law Unit support children from birth to 21 years old in Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne Counties. Assistance is available to youth and their families, at no cost, in a variety of circumstances, including:

  • Committee on Special Education (CSE) meetings
  • Section 504 Plan meetings
  • Formation of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
  • Superintendent Suspension Hearings and Manifestation Hearings
  • School Residency cases, including homeless cases
  • Responsibilities and Rights of Youth, Parents & Schools
  • Transportation issues

How can I get help with an education related issue?

  • If your child resides in Monroe, Wayne, or Ontario County, contact 585.232.4090
  • If your child resides in Genesee or Orleans County, contact 585.297.3466
  • If your child resides in Livingston County, contact 585.243.7944

If your child has been suspended, time is of the essence: contact us as soon as possible if you need advice or representation.